6.2 C
New York
October 19, 2018
Super League semi-final: Warrington beat St Helens 18-13 to reach Grand Final
Top Stories

Super League semi-final: Warrington beat St Helens 18-13 to reach Grand Final

Warrington finished 15 points adrift of St Helens in the Super League table
Betfred Super League semi-final
St Helens (3) 13
Try: Douglas Goals: Richardson 3 Drop-goal: Richardson 2
Warrington Wolves (2) 18
Tries: Hughes,Lineham 2 Goal: Roberts 3

Tom Lineham’s two second-half tries against St Helens sent Warrington Wolves to their second Super League Grand Final in three years.

The first of Dan Richardson’s three drop-goals on an enthralling night put Saints 3-2 up at the end of an absorbing and bruising first half.

Luke Douglas grabbed the opening try for Saints immediately after the break.

Jack Hughes responded, with Lineham’s brace setting up an Old Trafford date with Wigan or Castleford on 13 October.

Saints’ defeat brings to an end a remarkable season in which they won 26 of 30 regular season games, but in the event went out in the semi-finals of both league and Challenge Cup.

Their departing full-back Ben Barba was unable to provide the spark, while former captain Jon Wilkin made his final outing in the Red Vee in this chastening loss.

Warrington, a side that finished 15 points adrift of the League Leaders’ Shield winners, made a confident start, piled early pressure on and deservedly took the lead thanks to Tyrone Roberts’ penalty after 10 minutes.

Just as a series of errors and penalties led to the opening points of the game, the same allowed Richardson to level with the boot.

While it was tense and at time suffocating first 40 minutes, both sides showcased their explosive attacking threats, with Saints’ Tommy Makinson busting through Wolves’ defence for the biggest moment of the first half.

Richardson showed great composure to slot his first drop-goal of the evening to give the hosts a slender half-time lead, which was quickly built on by Douglas after he punished Wolves for two early mistakes after the break.

After failing to gather the ball from kick-off, the visitors again could not to deal with a kick and the prop pounced.

Through Hughes, however, Wolves hit back to reduce the arrears.

While Saints – a side that boasted seven players named in Super League’s Dream Team – were still a menace going forward, all they could muster was a Richardson penalty before Lineham helped edge Warrington ahead with a fine diving finish in the corner.

Two more Richardson drop-goals, after he uncharacteristically put a penalty wide, put the hosts 13-12 up with nine minutes remaining, only for Lineham to dance over the the decisive try two minutes later.

St Helens: Barba; Makinson, Morgan, Percival, Grace; Lomax, Richardson; Thompson, Knowles, Lees, Peyroux, Taia, Wilkin.

Interchanges: Roby, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Douglas, Ashworth.

Warrington: Ratchford; Charnley, T King, Goodwin, Lineham; Brown, Roberts; Hill, Clark, Cooper, Thompson, Hughes, Westwood.

Interchanges: Philbin, Murdoch-Masila, G King, Patton.

Referee: Robert Hicks.

Source BBC News

Related posts

Jose Mourinho: BBC Sport pundits on Man Utd manager’s future


Bruce Grobbelaar: Ex-Liverpool goalkeeper talks war horrors, Heysel and match-fixing


Congressman 'auctions' shouting protester out of hearing


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More