12.2 C
New York
October 17, 2018
Bournemouth 2-1 Crystal Palace: Late penalty sees Cherries win
Top Stories

Bournemouth 2-1 Crystal Palace: Late penalty sees Cherries win

Bournemouth are now unbeaten in five Premier League home games

Junior Stanislas scored an 87th-minute winner from the penalty spot to earn Bournemouth a late victory over Crystal Palace at the Vitality Stadium.

The hosts were gifted the spot-kick when Palace defender Mamadou Sakho swung a forearm into the face of Jefferson Lerma at a set-piece.

Bournemouth had gone ahead after just five minutes when David Brooks curled in off the crossbar for his first Premier League goal.

But after half-time Roy Hodgson’s side improved, and the visitors equalised in the 55th minute when Dutch full-back Patrick van Aanholt beat Asmir Begovic at the near post with a powerful strike into the top corner.

The hosts could have won the game even before the penalty however, with Callum Wilson and Dan Gosling both having good efforts saved by Wayne Hennessey.

The game ended in bad-tempered fashion as a number of players from both teams were involved in a scuffle after Lerma and Cheikhou Kouyate squared up.

The win for Bournemouth sees them climb to seventh while Palace stay 13th.

Sakho madness costs Palace

Palace were comfortably second-best in the first half but after their goal early in the second they had looked like having the momentum to go on and take three points.

Both sides pushed for a winner in the final half-hour but in the end it was Sakho’s moment of madness that decided the winner.

With Sakho marking Lerma at the free-kick, the pair initially tussled and referee Mike Dean had to warn both men.

Then, before the ball was delivered, Lerma backed into the Palace centre-back who twice swung an arm into Lerma’s face.

Dean seemed in little doubt about awarding the penalty and Stanislas, who had only come on as a substitute three minutes earlier, calmly dinked his spot-kick down the middle of the goal to secure victory.

Home comforts for Cherries

Regardless of the manner of the win, Bournemouth could have counted themselves unfortunate had they not come out of the game with three points.

Van Aanholt was standing in an offside position when receiving the ball for his equaliser and Wilfried Zaha also capitalised on a deflection after his misplaced pass in the build-up.

After seeing his side pegged back, Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe responded by removing goalscorer Brooks and switching to a 4-5-1 formation, which helped the hosts cope better with an improved Palace.

Bournemouth, who were beaten 4-0 in their last game at Burnley, are now unbeaten in five Premier League home games, winning four.

They had looked comfortable early on, energetically pressing high and playing sharp passes, and were rewarded through Brooks who became the club’s youngest Premier League goal scorer at 21 years and 84 days.

Over the 90 minutes they created the better chances, with Wilson in particular guilty of wastefulness when his shot was saved by Hennessey when one-on-one.

More to follow.

Source BBC News

Related posts

Great North Run 2018: Mo Farah wins for record fifth time


Manchester United: Are the players trying for Jose Mourinho?


Mark Lawrenson: BBC football pundit given cancer all-clear after scare


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More