The 42-year-old television presenter took time out from his work commitments after he was convicted for a drink driving charge earlier this year.
Following a relapse into alcohol addiction the star has been undergoing rehab treatment since March.
There has been speculation over whether hugely-popular presenting duo Ant and Dec would return to the celebrity reality competition I’m A Celebrity – set to air later this year.
Ant has now confirmed he has spoken to his co-host and best friend of 20 years and made the careful decision not to return this year.
In a statement to The Sun Online, Ant revealed: “My recovery is going very well and for that to continue having spoken to Dec and ITV, I have made the decision to take the rest of the year off.
“I’d like to thank both Dec and ITV for their continued support and I look forward to getting back to work in the new year.”
This confirms the Geordie star will not be on our TV screens until at least 2019.
What’s more, The Sun have confirmed Ant will not be taking part in Saturday Night Takeaway, a series started by he and his co-host Dec, next year either.
This could be because pre-production would need to kick off straight away.
The series is now due to return February 2020, according to the publication.
They went on to report that Dec, also 42, is still heading out to Australia to front this year’s edition of reality show I’m A Celeb.
This will be the first time the pair have been apart during I’m A Celebrity, but according to the newspaper a decision has not yet been made on whether Dec will host alone or with another presenting partner.
Dec told the publication: “Whilst I am obviously sad at the thought of being without my best friend in Australia this year, I am proud of the work Ant has been doing privately.
“And I am fully supportive of his decision.”
The father-to-be finished off by sharing his excitement to have his best friend back by his side for future projects.
“I’m looking forward to us both being reunited on screen in 2019,” he enthused.
Shedding light on the decisions, ITV boss Carolyn McCall said earlier this year Ant would definitely be coming back to the channel, but didn’t specify a date.
The executive added ITV will not put any pressure on Ant to return before he’s ready.
She told ITV News: “We wish Ant well. Clearly, he won’t come back a moment too soon.
“So I mean he will come back when he’s well and when is ready to come back and ITV will not be putting him under any pressure to come back unless he’s well and fit enough to come back.”
When questioned if he would be returning to the channel, Carolyn replied: “As far as I know that is true.”
I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! is expected to return to ITV later this year.
I’M A CELEBRITY…GET ME OUT OF HERE: THREE FACTS
The celebrities wear jungle uniforms with snazzy red trousers and matching khaki shirts. But did you know they’re only allowed three pairs of underwear?
Of the few personal items allowed in camp, the stars can bring three sets of underwear and three sets of swimwear – everything else is provided.
While it may look like a brand, spanking new camp each year it’s believed a handful of people stay in the camp ahead of the celebs’ arrival to check everything works correctly.
Fire – tick.
Dunny – tick.
When the going gets tough, the campmates are given just beans and rice to survive on.
Despite this, you’ll be shocked at the sheer quantities of food they get through. In series 13 they got through 15kg bacon, 540 eggs, 7kg muesli, 70kg potatoes, 80kg beef, 60kg chicken, 50kg pork, 20kg fish, 3kg ham, 2kg salami, and 4kg burger patties.